Is your business wasting labor and man hours with all the delays, confusion, and frustration that comes from an unorganized warehouse that relies on paper or antiquated, piecemeal systems? If so, it’s time to improve your process so you can improve your bottom line.
Here are four tips geared specifically toward the receiving, put away, and moving of your warehouse stock.
1- Receive, Put Away, and Move Stock as Efficiently as Possible
Here are a few recommendations for getting your warehouse stocked received, put away, and moved as efficiently as possible and error free.
- View, receive, and sort each item down to its architectural detail number.
- Receive items how, and at what level you need, in a lump sum using a license plate label with one barcode.
- Include (and account for) a separate staging area for items that are in between movements.
- Break down assignments by zone and then by specific location (section, aisle, bin number, etc.)
- Have preferred (or possible) locations show up automatically when inputting put-aways.
- Use scanned barcodes whenever you move items from one place to another.
- Offer the option to specify whether you want to move all of a batch of material or just a portion of it.
- Incorporate an automatic error check after each action.
2- Use an Industry-Specific ERP System
Get rid of your paper system or antiquated, piecemeal system that doesn’t integrate seamlessly into your fast-paced, complicated modern-day warehouse, satisfying neither your nor your clients’ needs very well.
ContractERP is a warehouse management system that incorporates every aspect of your warehouse with the rest of your business. You’ll find your staff saves so much time and your company saves so much money, you’ll wonder how you ever did business without it.
3- Use Real-Time Data
With all the comings and goings of various stock item pieces, it’s impossible to keep up with every movement without using real-time data. Barcode generation and scanning automation now eradicates time-consuming data entry tasks. The moment an item’s (or a portion of a shipment or an entire shipment) barcode is scanned, the information is updated in your ERP system. This reduces hassle, confusion, and inaccuracies.
Additionally, in today’s warehouse environment that is steeped in competition, knowing every detail in real-time is a must if you are going to be able to compete.
4- Go Mobile
When your ERP system can go mobile, you’ll have every inventory detail you need right in your pocket. No matter if you’re in your office, in the warehouse, or out meeting with clients, having stock information at your fingertips with a mobile warehousing systemis convenient and saves both time and money.
By implementing these seven tips, you’ll find yourself with a warehouse that receives stock quickly, puts it away efficiently, and moves it without errors. In short, you will have a well-run, smooth operation which is exactly what you need in order to succeed in this industry.
Improve your warehousing processes with ContractERP!